Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Emptiness

Late at night in the end of September: The dream tonight was of a spot-light looking for the mind. I could not find it. It was emptiness only. It was like a big blank space, a movie theatre. There was no reality to the concept of “I”. There was only emptiness.

 Yet somehow "I" still existed.

Who had I become in the dream? It was as if I had become an omnipresent awareness, without form, without a body or eyes.

If you think critically about the experience of life, you might find that you agree with me: that no matter what is going on, there is always this omnipresent awareness watching what is happening, and soon enough we forget about what was happening and still the omnipresent awareness is there.

This leads me to the notion that emptiness is the truth of the physical universe, and that all we consider material, and even the subtle forms such as thoughts, dreams and emotions are all part of this physical universe. All the myriad of things are in truth empty in nature. Are these things truly empty? This is indeed a hard question to answer.

This seems to be a good first step on the path of blogging, with a gentle musing on the foundation of the cosmos. Is this world "real" or is this all a cosmic dance? Here in the etheric realm of netspace the lines between the two do become a bit blurred..

1 comment:

  1. Terry, I applaud your initiative and, especially, your courage in launching a blog that will reveal so much about your personal journey. It seems to me that any blog also represents a substantial commitment. I look forward to reading what you have to say and, when moved to do so, adding my own "two-cents worth." I particularly anticipate your further musings about India. As you may recall, I had my own adventure there in 1983, when I was in my 30s as you are now. That visit left me with many vivid memeories.

    ReplyDelete

 

free counters